Sunday, January 09, 2005

5 pound coins

Courtesy of the commeration of the Battle of Trafalga.


Anywho, I got called back to Robert Walters yesterday for another interview - this time with a guy called Darren Lancaster, who would be my boss should I get the position I've gone for. He's a Bid Writer, and I'd be a Bid Writer Assistant...makes sense. It's basically proof-reading, editing, desktop stuff which is pretty cool. It's on a temporary basis to begin with but could become permanent. I'll find out about that on Monday.


On Monday I'll also find out about the Stargate mag job. That'd be a pretty cool job, but it's in a totally different area of London. I'd also have to compare the pay rates... but we'll see what happens. I'll leave it up to the gods. Either way, having a job would be awesome - funds are starting to get a bit tight now, so I'm going to be very frugal for the next couple of weeks.


On a lighter note, Alice and I went to see the Reduced Shakespeare Company's Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged last night - it was HILARIOUS! They combined all the comedies into one, and the histories into an American football game. There are only three actors, so they play all sorts of parts with varying degrees of success. The company also does The Bible, The Complete Word of God, and The Complete History of America, both of which I want to see based on last night.


The pubs here are ridiculous, in that they have really stupid licensing laws so they all close at midnight. So ridiculous. So because of that, if you want to stay out later you have to go to a club, and they all have stupid cover charges of like £10-£15 after 10pm.


I can see a lot of drinking is going to have to be done at home:D.


That being said, apparently we're going out tonight but I'm not sure where to, so that should be an adventure. I really want to go see Windsor Castle, but I think I'll save that for Monday.



Yesterday I went to the London Transport Museum, mostly because it's at Covent Garden and I was there, and also because I'd seen a few books about the underground tube stations and rail networks - there's a whole heap of stations and tunnels that just aren't used anymore, and I find that really interesting. I was to be disappointed, however, because it was very much a government-funded/focused display, so there was nothing about these unused rail networks, but there was a whole heap of stuff along the lines of "The tubes are not commercially viable and are very expensive to run, and the government only keeps them running because they have to for all the people of London" *sob!*. Oh, aren't they are heart-felt government?


On my way back I went through Trafalga Square and somehow ended up on Whitehall, which is where all the government buildings are, like the office of Cabinet, and where Downing Street is which, incidentally, has also suffered under the scare of terrorism here and is blocked off on both ends by gates and three police officers. However, I can now say that yes, I have seen Downing Street, and I probably saw the PM's house, except I couldn't see street numbers:D.


And now, it's time to veg out some more. We've had gale force winds here the last couple of days and today is no exception. It's much better to be inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home