Friday, July 22, 2005

Stuff and Bother (read - Mel's Rant and Rave for the Day)

If you've heard about the latest problems on the tube lines in London, which undoubtably y'all have, don't worry, I'm fine and everyone's fine. Strange time of day to set off a bomb though... Anyway, it's a little bit worrying to think people are still targeting the tubes, but what can you do?

Meanwhile, I've had Christine Anu's 'Island Home' stuck in my head all day. One of the curious things about living away from home is you get a better understanding of your own identity, or at least I have. I've learned a lot about myself, and I continue to, and I like it! It can only help me to become a better person. But I've also learned about that part of my identity that I relate with my home - being Australian. I may not be an Indigenous Australian, and lets face it, most Aussies are a bunch of mongrels with God knows how many different nationalities in their family trees. But I'm at the very least fourth-generation Australian. In fact, I don't even think of myself as an X generation, I just am Australian, and proud of it. Though I'm not Indigenous, I still have a connection to my land.

I guess that's the thing that bothers me most about terrorist acts like the ones we've just experienced in London - innocent people are targeted. A country is more than its government. It is the people, the animals, the plants, the intrinsic values embedded in personalities, and that certain x-factor that makes us unique from other places. If a person has a problem with a government decision, target the government, not the people. Though due to what we term 'democracy' ultimately we are responsible for who is in power, at the end of the day we are usually completely ignored when politicians make decisions. We were ignored over the 'Sorry Day' protests and ignored over the anti-War protests, both massive movements. And how do they justify this? They don't, because they don't have to. Our political systems are fantastically flawed. And for that reason alone, the people of our countries shouldn't be held responsible, and made to pay the ultimate price, for decisions we didn't make.

It's for this reason, in an odd way, that I can understand how people in Iraq, Palestine and Israel feel. Though we haven't the history they have, or the religious connections, their land is important to them too, and it is their governments and leaders who are continually placing innocent life in danger. Where do principles and pride stop, and logic and a bit of humility begin? Is it so hard to admit they were wrong? Of course it is - especially in an election year!

GAH.




Sorry, I DO go on:).



In other news, had an embarrassing fall on the tube this morning which has resulted in a MASSIVE bruise on my thigh (courtesy of arm rest and muscle collision). Had a session with a trainer last night at the gym which has also resulted in sore muscles. Moan moan moan, I know!:) On happier, or at least less painful, notes I had a lovely dinner with Jaimee and pals the other night a cute little communal vegie cafe at Vauxhall - three courses for ten quid, can't go wrong there! Saturday I'm back to the dentist, Sunday shopping with Jody. Next week will see a fair bit of social action as well, including some celebrations in honour of my graduation (touch wood, the pieces of paper still haven't arrived yet!) at a cool pub in central London on Friday week. Huzzah!

Other than that, zip zilch nadda.

Oh, and it's 32 days til I'm back in the Land of Oz, or at least on the way there... I should check that or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home