Monday, June 27, 2005

Destination: Brighton

When the English go to the seaside, they go to Brighton. And they go in droves! The recent warm weather inspired many, including myself, to wander on down to the pebbly beaches of Brighton.

It's so easy to get to - only 50 minutes by train from Clapham Junction. The train is at the top of a hill, and looking out from there you can see down to the ocean. Brighton is a very pretty city, many of its buildings are from the 1800s. And the ocean is surprisingly clean too. Anyway, from the train station I went in search of my hotel and found it on the main road, right across from the beach. After checking in (my room was very clean, but very hot! The windows only opened about six inches.), I wandered down to the beach. The weather wasn't that crash hot - just my luck, I thought, after a week-and-a-half of gorgeous hot, sunny weather in London, it would rain, wouldn't it? But it held off raining, and I wandered along the beach.

Yes, it is completely pebbled until you get to the water lane, where it is sand. And the pebbles are really bizarre! You actually sink into them as you walk along...which, obviously, makes walking a little more difficult than expected. All along the beach front is a wide footpath, which runs along under the big wall that has built the city up, and keeps it from washing away I guess. The wall is also home to lots of pubs, cafes and shops. There are also lots of little market stalls. And, for the hefty fee of one pound, you can hire a folding chair for half a day and bask in the sunshine.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
View along the beach from the road

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This carousel is on the beach and is a famous attraction.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Empty chairs at empty tables ... or, empty chairs on a pebble beach:D

One of the famous attractions along the seafront is the West Pier. It was built in 1866, and was basically shops and restaurants, it even had a concert hall! But due to lack of maintenance it was declared unsafe and in 1975 it was shut down for good. Then it burned down. Then it fell down. And now most of it's in the water and it's a ncie home for the giant seagulls (more on them shortly). It still stands out in the water though, and there has been some talk of rebuilding it. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen, given the phenomenal costs that would be involved. Anyway, photos!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The West Pier today

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The ruins along the beach are basically just large iron pieces, covered in seaweed which is not only indicative of how high the tide can get, but also gives them a strange jungle look...very surreal

Further along the beach is the Brighton Pier, the sister structure to the West Pier, but it happens to still be very much intact. And tacky. It's gloriously tacky though! It's got a theme park with rides at the end of it and all these arcade games and things. But it's also a kinda cool place to hang out and look at the view. And the Giant Crazy Seagulls! And they really are giant - I've never seen anything quite like it. They're probably about three times the size of a regular seagull, and with a volume of voice to match. They're really bizzarre...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Brighton Pier.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Crazy big seagull!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Loungin' around on the pier...

From there I wandered over to the Royal Pavillion. It was originally built by George III, and then became the favourite party palace of his son, George IV. Basically, he drank a lot and had a few harlots hanging around. Not to be outdone by anyone, he then spent a stack having it remodelled...and then to keep up with the Eastern fashions of the time, spent a whole lot more having it remodelled again. It really is the height of decadence, all decked out in ornate oriental furnshinings, artworks, carpets, even the wallpaper! It's amazing...and kind of funny too, when you look at it. Probably the highlights were the grand dining room with it's massive chandelier, and the music room, also with incredible chandeliers. The Palace was built as a summer home, evident in the french doors which line the rooms of the bottom floor and the large balconies on the top floor. I finished my tour with a Sussex Tea (home made scone with jam, clotted cream, and tea) on the terrace of the Queen Adelaide tea rooms, on the top floor of the Palace. From there I had a great view of the lovely gardens on the west side of the Pavilion.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The gardens, also known as the West Lawn.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The exterior of the Pavilion is currently undergoing some maintenence work, but you get hte general idea of what it's like. Very bizarre seeing this Eastern building in Brighton! By the way, as per most of these stately homes, photos were not permitted inside, unfortunately, so you'll just have to believe me when I say the inside really was spectacular!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The exterior from the West lawn.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me, on the terrace of the Pavilion.

From there I went to The Lanes, which are these beautiful little cobble-stone streets lined with funky shops and cafes. The thing about Brighton is that it has this really funky, kinda bohemian vibe to it. It's full of 'alternative' people, despite it's popularity as a weekend getaway for Londoners. Think vegetarian restaurants, second-hand book and record stores, crazy stores full of really funky knick-knacks, clothes and furniture. Yes I went a little mad, and I may or may not have allegedly come home with twice the amount of luggage I had before I left. Allegedly. Anyway, GREAT place to shop, whatever you're after.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A small section of The Lanes

After nipping back to the hotel for a quick kip, I wandered off to find some dinner, and found a nice restaurant over-looking the beach (after passing a plethora of pubs on the beach front, one with a live band playing which I sat and watched for a while), and had fish and chips for dinner - very apt! I then went in search of some nightlife, and ended up at the Walkabout - a very sad, ridiculous chain of Aussie themed pub. Brighton seems to be the place for Hens' Nights, too, as I came across so many groups of girls doing the whole Hens Night thing, most of them dressed in matching costumes and whatnot. And all so young! It was mad... Anyway, a couple of things along the way really annoyed me, and so I wasn't really in the mood for partying. I went back to the hotel.

This morning it was bright and clear and lovely. After a great breakfast at the hotel, I wandered along the beach again, this time dabbling in the water for a bit. It was beautiful and calm and clear...it really reminded me of home! It was SO NICE to be at a beach again. I eventually wandered up into the township and went along North Laine, this street which is full of more crazy homeware stores and cool funky stalls. Also did a little more shopping, which I shouldn't have, but what can you do? Sometimes I just need to a do a little shopping, it's my kind of therapy:D.

After lunch at a pub on the beach, I headed on back to London. I may or may not be a little bit burned - although I prefer to say 'bronzed with a red hue' - but I had a great time. I'm in love with Brighton! Next time I go, I'm going with a few people to party REALLY hard:D. And explore a bit more of Sussex.

All in all, a lovely weekend and it was great to get out of London. And speaking of getting out of London, Paris on Thursday!


By the way, I'm aware my posts are ridiculously long sometimes... sorry! But I'm a writer, it's what I do! THat's my excuse and I'm sitting to it...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Melanie, your hair looks great! glad you had a great time in beautiful brighton! get your ass down to the big screen of wimbledon for god's sakes incase you don't get there next year with work and blah blah blah. Love ya, Michelle.

8:20 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home