Monday, July 18, 2005

All the leaves are brown...

The wonderful thing about living in London is that you can always tell a seasonal change. Winter is shown by the bare trees and, occasionally, snow, spring by flowers, summer by leafy streets and hot long days and now, it would appear, autumn is beginning to rear its ugly head.

Walking along the streets the past few days I've particularly noticed how the leaves are starting to drop from the trees. It's disappointing really, I'm not ready to go back to skeletal trees, freezing nights and short dark days. I'm enjoying being able to run around in just a skirt and top, or beign able to go out at night and not have to wear ten layers of clothing! Summer in London is fabulous but, evidently, short-lived. I guess that's one of the things I miss most about home, that I never thought I would - warm weather! Of course, warm weather in London, despite being in the low thirties during the day, is never quite as hideous as it is in BrisVegas, so I've been quite spoilt. Nevertheless, when I do eventually make my final trip home, I am going to be looking forward to an Australian sunshiney day...

Speaking of which, it's now only 5 and a half weeks until I'm back in Oz. I'm getting so excited! I wish it was here right now!:)

As to my activities of late, on Wednesday night we had our netball final. I filled in for a team before my game and it was hideously hot, I was almost completely exhausted by the end of that game. Then, of course, by the time our game starts it's a torrential downpour. Murphy's frickin' Law. It meant that we were absolutely drenched, the court was dangerously slippery and nobody could hold onto the ball - it just kept slipping otu of our hands! We lost, but it was a good game, and the GS on the opposition was a very accurate shot, so kudos to them.

Thursday night we celebrated Liam's birthday (from work) by going into Soho to a pub, and then to a place near Carnaby Lane called Social. It's a cute little place, hidden away in the backstreets, but with a reputation for amazing pies - and we weren't disappointed! I had a steak and guiness pie which I couldn't finish, but was fantastic. Really hit the spot. That and the vodka. Which lead to a late night and a very tired Mel come Friday morning at work. So Melanie had a quiet one Friday night, relaxing on the couch with my Sex and the City DVDs (I've recently purchased seasons five and six, I already had three and four courtesy of Leah and Nik).

Saturday morning I hit the gym, and did a spot of shopping, after a bit of sleep in, rudely interrupted by the Real Estate agent showing people our flat. They're looking at filling in already and we've still got seven weeks on the lease left! That was pretty irritating. I was so NOT in the mood for that, so I sat out on the balcony and was very anti-social.

Last night Casey and I went to a party at Laura's house in Shepherd's Bush. The theme was 'Tube Stops' (yes, this was decided PRIOR to the bombings) and ashamedly, Casey and I were the only ones not in costume:(. But it was a great night, and some people really came up with some fantastic costumes, they looked fabulous! Some favourites were 'Manor House', 'Barbiken', 'Waterloo', 'Knightsbridge', 'Paddington', 'Baker Street', 'Bank', and Greenwich', among many others. If I can get some photos off Laura I'll put them up here because people looked fabulous!

After a lazy morning today I headed over to Jody's where we enjoyed the afternoon warmth and sunshine with cheese, crackers, a BBQ and copious amounts of Pimms in her little backyard, followed by watching 'Bring It On', which is a fabulously tacky movie.:) I'm so down with Pimms, I'll have to bring a few bottles back with me duty-free. Mixed with lemonade and a whole heap of fruit, it's like a perfect summer punch, but alcoholic.:) More Pimms in Australia, I say!

This week there's a few things on the agenda. Stage One of my root canal at the Dentist's tomorrow afternoon (bluuuurgh), hopefully dinner/drinks with Jaimee, Ben and Michelle perhaps on Tuesday night, and maybe a little shopping at Selfridges on the weekend. Who knows? I really can't afford to buy anything, but we all know that where I'm involved, shopping will invariably follow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home